Saw Melissa's blog on the bfg thoughts. Exactly the same tots as me.
It never came across my mind that I can give bm to Jaslyn for more than 7.5mths. In fact, when my maternity leave ended, I tot was time for me to stop. Cos I would be so busy with work then. Well, the khakis at work gave me support to pump together. I think thats why I could last till more than 7.5mths. It was a surprise to me when I reached the min 6mths "rule" by WHO. I must say this, though WK din really give me his full support, he din force me to stop also.
Someone asked me why I was so determined to give BM to Jaslyn but not Jolene. I think..., the articles, forums, books that I read from Net during my 1st pregnancy period, made me feel bfg is SO EASY. Hence, I wasn't prepared, both mentally and physically. Well, perhaps my complications for the blood clot also played a part in failure. I never knew bfg is SO TIRING AND STRESS!!! Plus without moral support from ppl around me (Yes, including WK). I kept hearing "you not enough milk lah" bla bla bla... The problem was, I never insisted to be on Total bfg. I'm ok to supplement with FM rather than letting bb went on hunger.
So when came to Jaslyn's time, I told myself to "see open", dun stress myself and just gave what I had. All along, I tot I was a dry cow. Who knew I'm wrong. Jaslyn was on total bm for a few mths before I introduced her FM to supplement on top of BM, cos I scared she would reject FM when I weaned her off. In fact, to compensate to Jolene, I actually gave part of the EBM to her. That explained why I needed to supplement FM for Jaslyn.
When I crossed the 6 mths "rule" setted by WHO. I was so happy. No words can describe. However, I realised I wasn't ready to stop bfg. I couldn't bear to stop, not becos I couldn't stop. I thinked only bfg mothers will understand that kind of feelings. I kept telling myself, stop bfg, I can go any places anytime, stay overnite at others' places, without bringing my pump. On one hand, my mind said "stop", on the other hand, my mind said "why stop when you still have milk?". I'm confused, not willing to stop. At the same time, I read some articles and postings in forums from some mummies. Realised many said "bf as long as possible". It suddenly came into my tots. When bb started semi solid, they are taking in more nutrients food. BM is just a supplement to them. FM can continue the "job". The next 1 1/2mths, I cutted down my pumping sessions, dropping 1 pump per week till I'm totally off now. I do squeeze out some to relieve myself occasionally.
I'm proud to say I have stopped pumping for 1 week liao. Jaslyn is now on FM and semi solids.
For Mummies who are going to due, preparing to bf. Pls dun stress yourself. Dun force yourself to bf if you are not in the good condition to do so. I read an article before, if a mum is not in good mood or when sick, the bm they are giving to the babies are actually toxics. I've posted this articles in Jolene and Jaslyn's blog before. All the best!